Saturday, August 4, 2012

Triple chocolate product review: Orgran vegan chocolate mousse and Whittaker's Rum & Raisin and Dark Almond chocolate blocks

It's been a while since I've done a product review post. Today, I'm making up for lost time with a triple chocolate hit.

I'm a little excited.



First up is Orgran's vegan (and gluten free) chocolate mousse.


I'm not sure why I haven't tried this before, given my self-proclaimed love of chocolate mousse and my efforts to create a fluffy vegan version. I suppose I didn't believe that a packaged mousse mix could generate edible results.

I was wrong.


People, this was fluffy. I have no idea how the Orgran people managed it, but the texture of this mousse defied the vegan ingredient list and suggested egg white and/or gelatin. It was amazing.

As for the ingredient list?

It is a little on the long side, but free of animal products, soy, nuts, genetically modified ingredients, gluten, wheat and yeast.


Making the mousse is as simple as adding 1 cup of water to the provided powder, beating with an electric beater for 3 minutes, and then chilling in the fridge for as long as you desire (you can even eat the mousse without chilling if you want). It was also enjoyable from the freezer and would make an impressive cake filling or topping.


The mix generates 5 serves, which are low in energy (87 calories / serve), fat (0.3g / serve), and protein (0.5g / serve). In other words, this isn't a nutrient-providing dessert, but it is enjoyable if you're after something light but chocolatey.


My only complaint with this mousse was the flavour. The taste was of low-cocoa milk chocolate (it reminded me of Sweet William's dairy free milk chocolate) and my taste buds wanted something with a little more oomph. However, that may be easily rectified by adding a tablespoon of cocoa to the powder, which I will try next time I make this.


For now, chocolate avocado pudding might win in terms of dark chocolatey taste, but this most definitely wins in terms of fluffy mousse texture.


From mousse, we move to the Whittaker's chocolate range, and in particular their 50% cocoa Rum & Raisin block and 62% cocoa Dark Almond block.


I have been experimenting with Whittaker's chocolate lately, due to Lindt's insistence on adding dairy to all of their flavoured Excellence blocks. Sadly, Whittaker's doesn't provide chilli as a flavour, or coconut (edit - they do have coconut, and I have even tried it, but I was thinking of dark chocolate as I wrote this!), but rum & raisin and almond seemed worthy of trying.


The rum and raisin block is a sweet dark chocolate, with only 50% cocoa and a decent smattering of raisins (26% of the ingredients). The flavours are rounded out by gentle rum tones, vanilla, maple syrup, and a hint of berries.

It is very easy to eat, and very much a 'snack-y' chocolate.

Rum & raisin on the left; almond on the right

The almond block goes a little deeper. The cocoa percentage rises to 62% and the taste reflects that: it is less sweet (although still somewhat sweet), mellow, and very chocolatey. Hannah has done this range poetic justice with her reviews of the 62% mocha, 62% caramel, 62% dark cacao, and 47% peanut blocks, but for this block - well, I really couldn't convince my taste buds to offer me anything other than "chocolate".

Perhaps this is because the chocolate is offset, rather beautifully, by whole roasted almonds. I am not usually a fan of fruit and nut chocolate bars, because the fruit and nuts are often chopped too small to feature and thus manage to detract from the chocolate experience rather than add to it.


These nuts definitely feature, and they definitely add to the chocolate experience.

Every mouthful delivers a contrast between chocolate and whole almonds, in an experience that is akin to eating chocolate coated nuts. I like chocolate coated nuts, so I was rather pleased.

All in all, two vegan chocolate wins for Whittaker's (and at lower cost than Lindt...), and I can see these entering my chocolate rotation.

What chocolate products have you enjoyed lately? Have you tried any of the above?

20 comments:

  1. I haven't tried neither of them. But I'm really glad to see more and more gluten-free products made available in the market! Your chocolate avocado mousse sounds wonderful, and as always loved reading about your experimentation and comparison of 2 recipes. I still have yet to make those vegan cupcakes! I've been planning to do what you did and make one vegan and the other non-vegan and see if the hubby can tell the difference..but for time's sake, I shall just make the vegan one.
    I actually love fruit and nut chocolate bars! My favorite is the pear, almond dark chocolate that I discovered recently! You're right, though, as it can distract from the dark rich chocolatey experience. That's why I try to get ones with cocoa % of 70 or higher (but never above 90..quite intense). I just love the chewy and the crunchy texture. I would want to try the dark almond bark. Look at the size of those almonds! Yes please! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now you mention it, I do love fruit in dark chocolate :) I suppose I was thinking of the generic fruit and nut ones, but pear (and berries) are pretty wonderful :)

      Delete
  2. The chocolate mousse looks great though I get a bit disheartened at a long ingredients list because I always want to be able to try such a thing at home and have more control over the ingredients.

    We love whittakers in our house - coconut is my favourite and E loves hazelnut. I must try both of the ones you reviewed as I don't think we have tried either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a bit disheartened at the mousse ingredient list too. I have no idea how I could make it from scratch!

      Delete
  3. *Ahhemm* I am deeply familiar with all the whittakers range. They are our chocolate of choice round these parts. The coconut- deadly due to it's milkyness. Caramel- delicious. The fruit and nut...I just don't know. For some reason I don't like the 50% ones so much. They taste gritty or something. The 62% with almonds is probably my favourite and then the dark ghana as a second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, I don't like the dark ghana. I have no idea why! I do like the coconut though, even though it is milk (but I do wish it was dark!). They are quite addictive, and 250g is a dangerous block size!

      Delete
  4. I love Whittaker's chocolate, especially the peanut and the coconut. I'll have to look out for rum and raisin. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do recommend it - if you like rum and raisin flavours anyway :)

      Delete
  5. Whittakers DOES make coconut - do you want me to send you some ?? (it's amazing!) It's not very cocoa percentage though, more milky. I love all of their flavours (I AM a Kiwi girl and grew up with their peanut slabs) I reckon the texture of the mousse would have been due to the vegetable gums.... xantham/guar in partnership make for a pretty great "pudding" texture! I reckon with the addition of a hefty spoon of cacao powder the mousse would be awesome - I'll have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so silly when I re-read my coconut comment! Oops :) I needed to insert a 'dark' before the no coconut remark...their milk one is pretty delicious despite being milk though.

      Definitely do try the mousse, and I am sure you'd think of wonderful ways to experiment with it too, given your own bean mousse creations!

      Delete
  6. yummy!!! thanks for the review, i've never heard of them but i'm not one to usually turn down chocolate. ;) but i will go sans nuts...i'm a freak and don't like nuts. maybe cuz i'm chock full of enough nuttiness already. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teehee :) I didn't used to like nuts actually, but they have grown on me with age!

      Delete
  7. Yay!! Chocolate, my favorite subject! The mousse looks amazing and the chocolate bar looks divine. :) One of my favorite dark chocolate fix includes dried blueberries and roasted almonds. Even with the dark chocolate (I can't remember the %) it was very tasty. I had a hard time not wanting to just eat the whole bar!
    Cocoa powder makes everything taste better :)
    Thanks for sharing Kari!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dried blueberries and roasted almonds sound wonderful as chocolate companions! I'd struggle not to eat the whole bar too :)

      Delete
  8. That mousse sounds delicious! And can it be any more easy!
    I still want to try yours with avocado. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mousse was ridiculously easy - almost embarrassingly so!

      Delete
  9. yuuum! fabulous review! now I'm craving chocolate!...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks absolutely delicious! I would so love to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn you and Hannah and your chocolate reviews. The block of Cadbury Old Gold in my drawer is going to get opened now! But seriously, great to hear about that mousse, with so many gluten and dairy free friends, that will be very useful to know about.

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).