Monday, July 23, 2012

Apple scroll bread

A little while ago, I made raisin bread after being inspired by the bread episode on River Cottage.

My bread making may have hit 'pause' (it's been a month since any bread came out of my oven...), but I did follow the raisin loaf with an apple variety. This isn't particularly surprising when you consider how many of my baking recipes feature apple (10, prior to this loaf). Apple is one of those fruits that I like in almost any form, but there is something quite decadent about it when baked.



In this instance, adding apple made this loaf a cross between a bread and a scroll, at least in terms of the eating experience. The apple pieces are scattered throughout to provide sweet, soft, gems of tastiness that turn bread from 'everyday staple' to 'exciting afternoon treat'.

Given that I rarely eat bread in its 'everyday staple' form, for me it elevated it from "too boring to bother with" (give me wrap bread, rice, quinoa or mashed celeriac any day) to "why, hello there!".

Figuratively, you understand. Talking to bread might be a stretch too far, even for me.



Apple scroll bread
More of a bread than a scroll, but delicious whatever you choose to call it.

Makes 2 loaves - you could divide the dough and make two different bread varieties.

Inspired by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage Everyday episode on bread.


Ingredients
400g strong white baker's flour
300g wholemeal flour
10g salt
1 sachet (7g) instant yeast
450ml warm water
1 tbsp mixed spice or cinnamon
2 tbsp sweetened apple sauce

2 small/medium apples or 1 large apple, peeled and diced

Plain flour, extra, for dusting



Method

Put the flours, salt and yeast into a mixing bowl. Pour in the warm water and mix to a dough. Turn out on to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 - 10 minutes.


Put the dough into a large mixing bowl that has been sprayed with oil spray. Cover with a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for 1.5 - 2 hours, until risen to approximately double the original size.

Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead again, knocking out the air, for about 5 minutes. Divide into two loaves and shape into flat, oval pieces approximately 1 inch thick.

Place 1 tbsp apple sauce, 1/2 tbsp mixed spice (or cinnamon), and half of your diced apple on each dough piece. Place the apple in a line down the centre, leaving at least an inch between the apple and each edge. If you have too much apple, you can keep some and sprinkle it on the top of your loaf later.

Roll the dough up from the short end, to form a rough ball. Top with any spare apple pieces.



Place the loaves on baking trays lined with baking paper, cover, and leave for a further 1 - 1.5 hours, until risen to approximately double their original size.

While the loaves are rising, preheat the oven to 190'C. When risen, bake the loaves for 35 - 40 minutes, until golden and they sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.


Rolled out dough

Rolled up with apple inside

After baking

And ready to eat

This was quite incredible straight out of the oven, but was also enjoyable half a week later (I stored the bread in the fridge after the first few days). I tended to eat it plain, as a snack or as a side to lunch, but it would go with certain spreads too. Honey and almond butter come to mind. I believe cheese is meant to go well with apple, so that may work too, if you are one for cheese.


All in all, quite a satisfying product. On looking back at these photos, I may even be tempted to return to bread making once again!

Interested in the health benefits of apples? Here is a comprehensive round-up!

Do you like baking with apple? Or have you made any bread varieties yourself lately?

24 comments:

  1. What fantastic looking bread. Andy finds sweet breads boring, even cinnamon scrolls, so when I make them I add fruit or chocolate or other things to jazz them up. Best ever was apple peanut butter cinnamon scrolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple peanut butter cinnamon scrolls?! Oh wow. That idea is definitely going to burrow into my imagination and take hold!

      Delete
  2. This looks so good and it reminds me of a bread that my mum used to make. I love apple in sweets and breads but I haven't baked with apples or made any different breads lately. Must be time to rectify that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely time! I love apple in baked goods at any time of year, but in winter it really is quite perfect.

      Delete
  3. You're such an inspiration, Kari..Seriously! When do you find the time to do all this?!?! It def has been awhile since I baked a bread from scratch. I believe last time was like 4 months ago when I attempted (that being the key word) to bake whole wheat pita bread.
    I, too, love to eat apples just as is or slathered in nut butter of all kinds. I also haven't met a apple cobbler I didn't like. So baking with apple gets a thumbs up :). This looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Min! Especially because I really am very hit and miss in the kitchen, in reality :P Attempting whole wheat pita bread is pretty impressive in my view!

      Apple in nut butter is one of my favourite snacks too :)

      Delete
  4. Sounds delicious - I sometimes buy an apple scroll and I find that the apple in it stops it being so dense. So I am pretty sure I would love your loaf. I also like apples in baking - though my mum did so much baking with apples when I was young that I was really over them until recently when I have come to appreciate them more,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple goods featured in my house growing up too - in fact, I think I have my mum to thank for my enjoyment of them. She had an impressive range of apple desserts that I keep meaning to re-create but not getting to. I wonder if it was a feature of the times? These days I mostly just see recipes for standard apple pies, whereas I'm sure we had quite different things.

      Delete
  5. I love bread. I'm a carb-a-holic!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo.. that looks sooo good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh what a fun bread! this would be absolutely perfect in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is when I made it (Australian time) so I wholeheartedly agree :)

      Delete
  8. such a cool idea. i love apples in desserts! this would be so good with a cup of coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a love looking apple bread. I think I would like it straight from the oven with lots of honey butter on it. How delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Charlie...I will confess rather a lot of it got eaten straight from the oven. Warm bread is not made to wait on!

      Delete
  10. Yummo - this looks really good. Baked goods with apple are the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just? Something about baking apple works so incredibly well.

      Delete
  11. Oh my gosh, this bread looks amazing!!
    I love the idea of apples inside! :)

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).