Monday, May 21, 2012

Calzone from Salzburg

Two years ago, in mid-2010, we had a holiday in central Europe. Like all of my independent adult overseas trips to date, the holiday was linked to a conference, thereby allowing me to avoid paying airfares.

(By 'all of my trips', I should perhaps clarify that there have been two. One in 2008 when I was still doing my PhD, and one in 2010. The third is scheduled for later this year when I have a conference in Portugal, giving rise to an every-other-year approach. Long may that last!)

Our 2010 trip started in Austria, initially Vienna, and then on to Salzburg where my conference was held. The trip brought many firsts. It was the first holiday Mr Bite and I had taken together, after a year of dating (something that could have ended badly if we'd discovered we only liked each other in small doses). It was the first time I'd been to Austria, and to the European countries we visited afterwards: Slovenia, Hungary, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic. We finished off in England, which I did know.

Mirabell Gardens, Salzburg, Austria

When we were in Salzburg, I also had a first in the form of calzone. Now, this is not an Austrian dish. However, we found Austrian restaurants surprisingly hard to locate in Salzburg. There was an amusing trend, at least in 2010, towards restaurants that served Austrian, Indian and Italian. There were also some Indian only and Italian only restaurants, but purely Austrian establishments were hard to come by.

Danube River and Salzburg city

We weren't particularly keen to try traditional Austrian dinners, given they are very meat heavy, but we were keen to avoid eating somewhere that claimed proficiency in three very different cuisines. It just seemed risky to trust that an Austrian-based chef would be able to competently cook Austrian, Indian and Italian!

As a result, we ate a lot of Italian in Austria. Although I didn't order calzone myself, Mr Bite enjoyed it and the concept remained with me when we returned home.


I have made calzone a few times since then, using variations of the recipe below. It is a surprisingly easy dish. I have found that the dough is nicest when herbs are mixed into it, and when rolled as thin as possible - I don't generally do a good job with the rolling component, and as such my calzones are often spilling out the sides (see above!). However, this is a meal that's hard to ruin, and it is also very easy to adapt to taste. 



Salzburg-inspired Vegetarian Calzone
Makes two large calzones
Vegetarian; vegan if made without cheese or with soy cheese


Ingredients

For the dough
2 cups plain flour
Pinch salt
3 - 4g (1/2 sachet) dry instant yeast
3/4 cup warm water
Dried herbs to taste - I like oregano and basil

For the filling
~3 tbsp tomato paste (1 sachet if you buy sachets)
Drizzle olive oil
1 small or 1/2 large onion, sliced
1 small zucchini, sliced
1 capsicum, diced
1/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 - 2 tsp dried oregano (or herb/s of choice)
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: grated cheese (I use cheddar for Mr Bite's version, probably about 1/4 cup)


Method

For the dough
Combine the flour, salt, yeast and warm water in a large bowl. Knead for several minutes until smooth and then leave in a warm place for about an hour, until doubled in size.

For the filling
Saute the onion, zucchini and capsicum until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and keep over low heat for another 1 - 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the tomatoes, oregano and seasonings.

To make the calzone
When the dough is ready, preheat the oven to 220'C and knead the dough again lightly before dividing into two. Add any herbs to the dough at this stage. Roll each dough half out on a floured surface, into rounds that are ~2 cm thick. Spread each round with tomato paste. 

Place one half of the filling on one side of the dough, and then fold the other side over to enclose the filling. If using cheese, add cheese to the filling ingredients before folding. Brush the folded edges with water and then pinch to close.

Bake on a lined baking sheet for 20 minutes.



Hot, gooey (even without cheese), packed with vegetables, and easy to make.


Definitely a nice dish to take away from Salzburg, even if it didn't originate there!

Do you have any calzone memories? Or have you been to Salzburg - in which case, how did you find the food?

To those of you who expressed interest in pink laces - expect an email from me over the next day or two :-)

24 comments:

  1. What a great holiday and you didn't have to pay for your flights! That's a shame you couldn't find Austrian restaurants in Austria. Even if there is a lot of meat on the menu it would have been great to have just experienced being somewhere authentically Austrian. I do love calzones and yours look very inviting. The great thing about them is they can be filled with many different ingredients. Yummy! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been nice to have more Austrian experiences, you're right. Fortunately in Vienna we had plenty of authentic Austrian cafes, so at least we managed that side of it! Glad you like the look of the calzones - they can be filled with pretty much whatever you like, which is my kind of recipe really :)

      Delete
  2. Sylvia is really into sound of music so I would love to take her to salzburg - thought she would probably be wondering where the von trapp kids were. Love your travel pics.

    I love calzones and have a favourite place to buy them near work - but have only tried making calzone once - it was ok but I don't think I got the dough thin enough and it wasn't fantastic - but yours look great - do you put the herbs in the dough when you mix it up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for picking me up on when the herbs go into the dough - I do like to mix them in and usually do it after the dough has risen (although before may work fine too). I've updated the recipe to note that. I find the herbs help if you don't roll the dough thin enough, as then at least the thick dough has some flavour!

      There were a lot of Sound of Music references in Salzburg :) I hope you can take Sylvia one day, it would be a great place to visit with children - well, with anyone, but it's a child friendly city.

      Delete
  3. This looks so yummy Kari! I have to say I tend to find calzone a bit heavy on the dough so usually don't pick them but yours looks great. I can't believe it but in a bit over a month I will be in Vienna. Unfortunately we won't make it to Salzburg though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually liked Vienna better anyway, to tell you the truth :) Only just, but Vienna was somewhere I could imagine living. Salzburg was beautiful, but as a holiday spot. I can't wait for your trip - I'm going to live vicariously!

      Delete
  4. I've been to Salzburg - and I seem to remember eating a beautiful rich stew when we were there. Perfect food for the FREEZING temps outside!

    ps - did you visit the Mozart museum? Funniest place ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have done better than us with the authentic food finding! It sounds like it's just as well - we were there in summer and I sense winter would have required some stews!

      Mr B visited the Mozart museum whilst I was at the conference - he did find it pretty amusing, and I think he pretty much was the only one there at the time too!

      Delete
  5. Yay for Austria for introducing you to calzones, they are still on our rotation list and are made fortnightly (otherwise there are serious complaints). I enjoyed reading your post whilst tucking into my leftover 1/2 calzone from last night's dinner! If you ever get around to trying out tofu bacon, I highly recommended it as a calzone filling. Your calzones look really good, I do like the sound of the herbs in the dough! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to stick a note on the fridge saying Tofu Bacon. I keep thinking "I need to make it for this" or "it would go so well in this!" and then I am madly doing dinner at the last minute and don't get to it. Organisation might be useful :P

      We have homemade pizza on a fortnightly rotation but I can see that calzone would work brilliantly as a regular because it would be even more versatile. Perhaps I'll add it to our dinners more regularly.

      Delete
  6. Any dish inspired by travel is required to be forty-seven times more delicious than a dish not inspired by travel. Fact.

    Aaaaaah, I wish someone would pay for my overseas airfares! *shakes fist at world*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True fact. You should write a book with these things :-)

      I'm kind of dreading the day I don't get travel money included in my job. However, it is possible that it would be the same day I get paid more. It's tricky. Maybe one day you'll have an important meeting in NYC instead of Sydney and it will make your stressful weeks worth it in the end? (Dreaming about these things is good even if they may never happen!)

      Delete
  7. When I was younger we used to order calzones almost as often as pizza from our local Italian takeaway. We mainly ordered cheese calzones, hold the ricotta - which was essentially a butt load of mozzarella, wrapped in herby bread. The few times I've made calzones since, without cheese but piled with veggies, have been far better (in my current taste buds' opinion, of course).

    Wahoo for free conference travel! It's one of my favourite things (along with freeee books!) about being an academic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on the no cheese - but then I never much liked it as a child either. I do find calzones cope with no cheese much better than regular pizzas though; I like them cheeseless too, but you have to work harder to stop things drying out!

      I'm with you on the perks of free conference travel :-) Although now I'm thinking that I'm missing out on the books - I don't seem to get them!!

      Delete
  8. this post has my name ALL over it, i have an ongoing love affair with all big, fat, doughy carby things and pizza crust tops the list...the fact that calzones are nearly all crust obviously win my heart. my calzone memories are alas all from the US but there is the pizza place at my gpa's that he always would take us to growing up, they have awesome calzones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grandparents always seem to have good food links :) It sounds like the US is more into calzones than Australia, or perhaps I just don't look hard enough - nice that you have a good selection locally though!

      Delete
  9. I would love to visit those places! I love seeing the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely worth visiting - glad you liked the photos :)

      Delete
  10. This sounds delicious, and I would love to try the herbed dough - something I have never tried with pizza before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never done it with regular pizza myself, but I do love it with calzone.

      Delete
  11. OMG that calzone looks seriously good. I loved Austria when I was there some 5 years ago!
    Heidi xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it an amazing country? So incredibly beautiful!

      Delete
  12. OMG Kari! Salzburg is my very favorite place in the whole world!! I could go to those gardens every day - they're beautiful. The walkway through the trees is just magic.

    Salzburger Nockerl please! oh and some really good lemon soup too. :)

    I always make the American version of calzone with sauce on the side but I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon soup?! Now why did I not see that! What a great concept.

      Salzburg was so incredibly beautiful - all of Austria really. It's a shame it's so far away from me!

      Delete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).