Saturday, August 6, 2011

Product review: Eatwell Mediterranean Veggie Burgers

I thought I would break up dessert-related posts with something savoury.

Being a product review, this also highlights that whilst I can spend 2+ hours baking, I'm still not always organised enough to make veggie burgers instead of buying them.

This probably sums up my approach to cooking rather well.



Australian Eatwell Mediterranean Veggie Burgers

Product summary: Containing 85% vegetables, these really are veggie burgers. No faux meat and no pretending to be chicken or beef, I think they probably taste as close to homemade as possible without actually being homemade.


Ingredients: Potato, carrot, soy bean, tomato paste, flour, breadcrumbs, herbs and spices, garden peas, and pumpkin.

See? 85% vegetables!


Nutritional information: Each burger containts 151 calories (635Kj), 5.4g protein, 1.7g fat, 0.4g saturated fat, 26g carbohydrate, 1.9g sugar, and 460mg sodium.

The burgers are pre-cooked, so only need re-heating before serving (microwave, grill or pan fry).


The verdict: It's hard to get a faster or simpler dinner than these patties served with salad and bread rolls. I tend to microwave the patties, which take 1 - 1.5 minute each, so there is virtually no preparation time required. There are also no dishes to clean afterwards. Perfect!

In addition to being easy, these taste good. Or at least, they taste good if you like vegetables. I'm not sure how much they would appeal to someone who is predominantly a meat eater. There is no one overpowering flavour, with the mix of ingredients and flavourings come together nicely.


My only (small) complaint with these patties is that they don't hold together very well when cooked. However, I suspect that this is because I microwave them. If you grilled or pan fried them, they would likely develop a harder edge.


 



All in all, I would recommend these for anyone who sometimes wants an easy dinner in under 5 minutes! I find them at Coles, and the cost normally works out between $1 and $2.50 per pattie, depending on whether you buy a 2- or 4-pack and whether or not they're on special.




2 comments:

  1. Ah, interesting! I cannot even count on all my digits and limbs how many times I've picked these up and almost bought them, but then I'm silly and decide that I'd rather something with more protein. But if they do taste good, maybe I'll try next time they're on sale :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Hannah
    Well, I think it must be said that more protein would be good. Some nights, though, I'm tempted to just go with toast. Having these on hand means I'm able to avert that level of laziness!

    ReplyDelete

I genuinely appreciate all comments and the time taken to post them. Occasionally, I may need to restrict commenting to registered users in order to halt large volumes of spam. If that happens, I will lift the restriction within a week.

Want other ways to interact? Bite-sized thoughts is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/bitesizedthoughts) and Twitter (https://twitter.com/bitesizethought).